Dry Fly Shake and Bake
Dry flies work best when floating! There are a ton of great products that help keep your fly from drowning. Silicon gels and desiccate powders are a must. Here’s the routine to keep your fly dry!
- Apply the silicone gel to your fly sparingly (a little dab will do), rub the gel into your fly; a little on the leader for a foot or so is OK
- Present your dry fly so you get a natural life-like drift
- False casting helps to wick off moisture between drifts
- After catching a fish, wash the fish slime off your fly and check your hook point and knot
- Add the fly to some powdered fly desiccate and “shake and bake” in the container
- A false cast or two will flick off the extra powder
- Your fly is back in floating form!!
To make your own desiccate powder, collect the moisture protection packs from various product packaging. Crush the round silica balls and place into a small capped bottle. Cut a smoothed groove on one edge to allow the line to set in without getting pinched.
“Shake and bake” your wet flies away!!